The 17th LokSabha Election has welcomed more than 300 new members in the parliament this year. With BJP led NDA taking away 352 Parliamentary seats, these 300 first times MPs will be shaping the laws of the nation for the next five years. Here are a few of the first time MPs and their background.
1. Gautam Gambhir(East Delhi)- Former Indian cricketer, Gambhir joined the BJP in March end. He was fielded by the party against Aam Aadmi Party’s Atishi Marlena, an educationalist, political activist, and politician in the East Delhi Constituency. Gambhir defeated Congress’ Arvinder Singh Lovely with a margin of 3.91 lakh votes leaving Atishi third in the race.
2. Sunny Deol(Gurdaspur, Punjab)- Son of actors Dharmendra Deol and Hema Malini, Sunny followed his parents’ footsteps in both acting and politics. Hema Malini is the second time MP from Mathura while his father was an MP from 2004-09 representing Bikaner in Rajasthan. Sunny was fielded against Sunil Kumar Jakhar of Congress, a three-time member of Punjab Vidhan Sabha from Abohar. In a statement, Dharmendra had claimed that if he knew that his son would be fielded against Kumar, he wouldn’t have allowed him to contest as he knew how much more experienced Kumar is than his son. Sunny too claimed in many interviews that he doesn’t know much about politics but is a patriot. However, Sunny defeated Kumar with a margin of 82,459 votes.
3. Sadhvi Pragya(Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh)- The candidate who was often in news regarding her controversial statements defeated former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Digvijaya Singh with a margin of 364,822 votes. Pragya is a 2008 Malegaon blast accused and has been in trouble lately for her controversial statements regarding Late. Hemant Karkare and Nathuram Godse.
4. Tejasvi Surya(Banglore South, Karnataka ): Being the youngest MP, Surya is just 28 years old. He defeated Congress’ BK Hariprasad with a margin of 331,192 votes. He holds two degrees – BAL (Bachelor of Academic Law) and LLB from Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies. He is also a member of RSS.
5. Imtiaz Jaleel(Aurangabad)- A former journalist of 23 years, Jaleel is a member of All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen. He defeated Chandrakant Khaire with a thin margin.
These are the few First time Members of the Parliament who have been elected by the voters. Irrespective of the backlash received from the population regarding certain MPs, there isn’t much that can be done except to wait and watch the rules regulated by the new-comers.